Green Day – Hanging Solar Powered Light Jars

In celebration of Earth Day this week, and as a part of my “Green Day” eco-friendly series, I’m sharing one of my favorite projects with y’all.  Jed gets all the credit for this one.  It was all him from beginning to end, with just a few opinions from me.  He keeps asking when I’m going to share it on the blog, so here we go.

We found a great deal on solar powered outdoor lights at Lowe’s, but we don’t have a walkway or appropriate place to put them.  You know the ones I’m talking about, those little ones that stick into the ground.  Then we searched high and low for jars that would hold the solar cell and battery in the lid.  We are partial to mason jars at our house, but couldn’t find any that fit.  We found these at Big Lots, so they were super cheap.

Jed painted them on outside with frosted glass spray paint.  He then took the stick lights apart and used silicone glue to attach the solar cell to the inside lid of each jar.  He tried gorilla glue first, but it was a big fail.  You can find the full tutorial at Lifehacker as trying to get Jed to explain the details of each step is not something I’m up for right now.  You now how men are with explaining details.

He looped each jar with thick but bendable wire, and hung them from hooks along our front porch.  I think they look super cute during the day and fit our front porch aesthetic (a work in progress) nicely.

Here’s the best part – they get enough sun each day to glow every night without ever needing new batteries or help from us.  The sun provides everything they need to light up our porch.

The jars begin to glow at twilight, and look so lovely when we are doing a little front porch sitting.  We have a rocking chair and a 2 person glider on our front porch, which are perfect for our spring evenings.  Our neighbor’s honeysuckle makes it smell amazing, and we just sit and rock/glide away.  We are hoping that our porch fan will keep the mosquitoes at bay and allow us to enjoy the porch into the summer.

Below you can see how the jars glow at night.  So cool, right?  I love that my husband is creative and is always building and doing fun projects around the house.  He works so hard at his job, and then comes home and works hard here too.  I can’t wait to show y’all his current project – cedar log side tables.  They are incredible and should be done soon.

We are always looking for new ideas.
What is your latest green living project?

I’m linking this project up to some great parties on the right side bar.  Check them out, find some inspiration, and post your own.

Visit thecsiproject.com
Connect with Us on Facebook
Put your feet up on the dashboard and come along for the ride.

19 Comments on Green Day – Hanging Solar Powered Light Jars

1. beachcomber
    April 18, 2011 at 4:26 am (3 years ago)

great idea! love the solar jars! our green living -continuing to use green bags at the supermarket, trying to use less electricity and i’ve gone without a clothes dryer for over 1 year..
    have a great day!
    cheryl x

2. Megan
    April 18, 2011 at 11:35 am (3 years ago)

What a great idea!! Those look so awesome on your porch!

3. Christine
    April 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm (3 years ago)

Wow, what a great idea!! Looks so cute on your porch.

4. Shabby Soul
    April 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm (3 years ago)

I love these lamps! Yall are too smart! I so need some of these for my porch!

5. Michelle L.
    April 18, 2011 at 5:17 pm (3 years ago)

Really beautiful – I love the classic look of the mason jars, and frosting them was a brilliant little touch!

6. Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made
    April 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm (3 years ago)

Beautiful! Thanks for the link to the instructions too! Big Lots is one of my favorite places! Great job!

7. Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art
    April 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm (3 years ago)

What a wonderful idea, love your lights! Found you through The Thrifty Home link party and glad I did! Deb

8. dogsmom
    April 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm (3 years ago)

We’ve been green forever. A lot of it comes from being unemployed…but at least now it’s the cool thing to do.

The dollar stores also have great solar cells.

9. Marianne
    April 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm (3 years ago)

I have been looking for something like this for a while and finally I now know how to get the look I want. Thank you for sharing. Found you over at New Nostalgia.

10. Amy Bowman
    April 25, 2011 at 9:32 pm (3 years ago)

neat idea! You got most clicked on link at “AP Tuesday” I will feature your post tomorrow at New Nostalgia! Thanks for linking up!!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Green Day – Hanging Solar Powered Light Jars

1. […] One thing everyone should know about me is I LOVE Mason Jars. Here are a couple of my favorite styles Blue Mason Jars or Mason Jars with Handles. I think they are pretty to look at regardless of what is in them. However I especially love re-purposing them, I have a few mason jars that I have acquired from friends that need new uses for them so I went scouring the inter-webs to see what others have used them for. Here are some of my favorite ideas: Hanging Solar Powered Light […]

2. […] scouring the inter-webs to see what others have used them for. Here are some of my favorite ideas: Hanging Solar Powered Light Yellow Punch Party Vintage Blue Mason Beach Memory Jar Citrus Salt Scrub DIY Date Night Jar […]