Our second baby is due at the end of April, and we are hoping and trying for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean section). There are many reasons why we are heading this direction and I hope to share them with y'all over the next few months. You can read the Bear's full birth story here to see what our first child's birth entailed. If you read that story you will get a little glimpse into why we are now on this journey to VBAC and a normal birth. This process has been all consuming for me and this blog is my space to express the way I feel about the whole situation. Many folks have strong opinions about VBAC vs. repeat cesarean, and I hope that whatever your opinion might be you will respect mine. VBAC is not the right decision for every c-mama, and it doesn't always work out no matter how you prepare. Our hope and prayer is that we can have the best birth possible for our little girl.
Why try for a VBAC?
After a ton of research and prayer, we feel it is the best option for the health of our baby and my health. I want a normal birth because it is the way God designed my body, and He made me this way for a reason. I struggled with the trauma of Bear's birth for months afterward, and breastfeeding was a HUGE battle. I've since learned those issues are typical with c-section. If you have had a cesarean and fought through the emotions of losing the birth you hoped and planned for, you are not alone. C-section is meant to be an emergency last ditch option when the life of mom or baby is in jeopardy. There are many occasions when it is completely necessary and in those cases we thank God it is available. Having had a prior c-section is just not always one of those. It turns out that induction without medical reason increases your chance of a c-section by up to 75%. My previous doctor failed to mention that when she tried to schedule Bear's birth around a holiday.
C-section can be a literal life saver, but it does not come without cost. Any c-mama will tell you that recovery is a beast. I don't remember the first few weeks of Bear's life because of the pain medication. The only things I could do were sleep and try to nurse. It was rough, people. I'm hoping this time around will be very different. C-section babies have higher rates of asthma and allergies, as well as many other risk factors. I'll go in to those in another post. Even if Mini Bear's birth does end a c-section because of medical necessity, at least I will know that is a possibility going in and be prepared for that alternative.
I hear a lot of the same questions over and over about this road we are on. Why not just schedule a repeat c-section? Aren't you putting yourself and the baby at risk? What do you have to do to get a VBAC? I hope to answer those here on the blog over the next few weeks.
You can read more about our breastfeeding battles here: Breastfeeding Part 1 and Breastfeeding Part 2. The great news is that even though it was a battle at first, we fought through and Bear nursed until he was a little over a year.
Looking for resources and information about VBAC and cesarean recovery? Try these: