This post is sponsored by Pop Secret. All opinions are my own.
One of our favorite afternoon rituals when the weather is yucky is to pop a bag of popcorn and curl up to read or watch a movie together after the kids wake up from their nap. Often this sweet time includes a little pillow fort building. This week we decided to take our snacking to the next level by creating the cutest little popcorn lollipops. The recipe is super easy and a fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Be sure to jump over here to grab a $1 off coupon from Pop Secret.
- one bag of popped Pop Secret popcorn (Grab a $1 off coupon from Pop Secret.) I used the 94% Fat Free Butter variety shown below.
- 5 oz of mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2.5 tbsp butter
- mini cupcake liners & lollipop sticks (both are optional)
- Remove all the unpopped kernels from your popcorn. (Great job for the kids if they are helping).
- Crush the popcorn in a LARGE bowl. It doesn’t have to be completely crushed, just make the pieces smaller. (Another great job for little hands.)
- In a medium saucepan on low/medium heat, melt the butter until it starts to brown.
- Add the marshmallows and vanilla to the saucepan, and stir a LOT until the marshmallows melt and everything is well blended.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn and stir it in until well mixed. All the popcorn pieces should get picked up by the sticky mix and create a big marshmallowy blob. That’s a technical chef term, people.
- Start rolling your mini popcorn balls and place them either on wax/parchment paper or in your mini cupcake liners. This was BIG fun for my kids. The Pearl Girl couldn’t really roll them in to balls, but she sure liked to try. Obviously make sure the mixture isn’t hot when they start rolling.
- Stick your lollipop sticks in and enjoy your new favorite snack. This recipe makes about 30 mini lollipops with light snacking during the process.
We brought a handful of our popcorn lollipops in to our pillow fort and enjoyed our surprisingly mess free snack time and a few books. We used the giant box leftover from our bathroom remodel (the kids have been obsessed with the box all week) to make our fort extra tall.
We always create a “secret passage way” between the ottoman and the couch, and the Bear loves to hang out there and guard it.
Best thing about these popcorn lollipops? No mess. Not even sticky fingers. I couldn’t believe it.
How cute are they?! Seriously, I can’t even handle it.
What’s your favorite afternoon snack? Don’t forget to hop over here to grab a $1 off coupon from Pop Secret. Pop Secret knows that fun, like popcorn, is better when it’s shared. Send Pop Secret your pillow fort stories and pictures on Facebook by uploading them right to the Pop Secret timeline and tagging them #PopSecretForts. You could receive exciting Pop Secret prizes and rewards for joining in.