Our second baby is due at the end of April, and we are hoping and trying for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean section).  This is one of a series of posts about Trying for a VBAC.  There are many reasons why we are heading this direction and I hope to share them with y’all over the next few months.  You can read the Bear’s full birth story here to see what our first child’s birth entailed.  If you read that story you will get a little glimpse into why we are now on this journey to VBAC and a normal birth.  This process has been all consuming for me and this blog is my space to express the way I feel about the whole situation.  Many folks have strong opinions about VBAC vs. repeat cesarean, and I hope that whatever your opinion might be you will respect mine.  VBAC is not the right decision for every c-mama, and it doesn’t always work out no matter how you prepare.  Our hope and prayer is that we can have the best birth possible for our little girl.

Because we are trying for a VBAC and lots of people have lots of questions about what that entails, we’ll be live tweeting as much as we can during the birth.  You can read my other pregnancy 2.0 updates here, and read all my pregnancy posts here. *UPDATE* We successful had a VBAC with our daughter, and you can read our full birth story here.

This week I’m sharing our birth plan with you.  We worked out the details with the help of our doula, Erica Sosa.  She has attended many VBACs and has worked with our OB on a number of occasions.  We know that every birth is different and things rarely go according to plan.  We still think it is best to have a plan and to share that plan with our birth team so that everyone is on the same page.

Birth Preferences for our VBAC Birth
Becca and Jed Eby
Due Date: 4/24/13
Before Labor Begins 
– As long as my baby and I are healthy, I want to reach as close to 42 weeks as possible.

– If some induction method is needed, I prefer to try these first: natural induction methods

– If my water breaks before I go into labor, I want to wait as long as possible before coming in to allow labor to start on it’s own.
– I would like to labor at home as long as possible.
– I wish to have spontaneous rupture of membranes.
Upon Arrival / Admittance 
– If I am less than four centimeters dilated, I would like the option of going home to continue laboring there.
– Upon arrival at the hospital, I prefer to have my husband Jed Eby and my doula, Erica Sosa with me at all times.
– As long as my baby and I are fine, I want my movement during my delivery and stay to be completely unrestricted.
– I want to remain IV free unless it becomes medically necessary to start one and am fine with a saline heplock.
– I prefer to limit vaginal exams unless I request one.
– I am aware that pain meds are available and will ask if I feel the need. PLEASE do NOT mention or ask otherwise.
– If a situation arises and we need to make a medical decision, please allow my husband and I time alone to discuss it.
– I may be wearing my own clothing to labor and birth in.
– I understand that upon arrival I need to be monitored, I ask that I be able to do this in the position that I am most comfortable in as I am wanting this birth to be unmedicated. Thank you.
– I would like as much intermittent monitoring as possible.
– I will use a heating pad, massage, and lavender essential oil aromatherapy as needed.
– Please do not allow any other visitors into my room without my consent.
– I want to have my door closed, lights dimmed and I prefer for people entering the room to speak softly.  I appreciate your cooperation in helping make this the birth experience we want.
– I want the freedom to use different positions and equipment during my labor such as: birthing ball, squat bar, shower etc.


– IF I request pain relief, I would appreciate some private time to think about which pain management technique or medication I would like to use.

– I would like to use a mirror when I am pushing and may touch my baby’s head when crowning.

– I would like to be in the position for delivery that is most comfortable to me at the time. I.E. Squatting or on my side
– I would like my Dr. to guide my breathing and pushing for slower crowning.
– I would like olive oil/coconut oil that I will provide, used and gentle perineal massage at crowning.
– Please allow the umbilical cord to pulsate 1.5 to 2 minutes before it is clamped.
– We will be taking our placenta with us.
– As long as my baby and I are healthy, I want to maintain skin-to-skin contact until after my baby has successfully breastfed on both breasts. (at least 2 hours and all routine procedures done ON me)
– If a tear occurs and repair is needed, please use local anesthetic for repair.
– As long as my baby and I are healthy, I want to maintain skin-to-skin contact and do not wish to have baby removed from me unless medically necessary.


– AFTER 2 hours has passed I DO consent to all routine newborn procedures such as weighing etc. I wish to waive the Hepatitis B vaccine.

– I would like a pulse ox screening after for our baby girl when she is 24 hours old to rule out congenital heart defects.
– If my baby’s health is in jeopardy, I want to be present with our baby at all times, breastfeed or express my milk for my baby and have as much bodily contact with my baby as soon as possible.
– My baby is to be exclusively breastfed; please do not offer my baby any formula, pacifiers etc without my consent.
– I am aware that there is guidance available for nursing and would like to consult with a lactation consultant to ensure there are no breastfeeding issues.
 I prefer that my baby’s first bath be done at my bedside and I may want to help with her bath.
– I want the shortest hospital stay possible.

What was/will be most important to you during the birthing process?  How did you communicate your desires to your birth team?

4 Comments on Trying for a VBAC: Our Birth Plan

  1. If you are anti-vaccine, be sure to look into the vitamin K drops and eye drops to be sure you don’t want those either. I chose not to and the hospital was ok with it. Also, check with the whole bath thing with them first. I asked for this and I was refused!Very frustrated since I wanted to give her a first bath. Good luck and I hope your VBAC goes well. I plan the same for our second…whenever he/she decides to make an arrival…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *